Sunday, August 06, 2006

Zen & the Art of Bracelet Removal

I just spent over an hour removing the bracelet from my Seamaster 300. You read that correctly, over an hour. You're probably thinking, "This guy doesn't know what he's doing." You may be right, but by now I've had over 6 years experience removing and fitting bracelets onto watches so that probably isn't the case. Well then you might ask, "Do you even have the right tools?" Yep. I've got a host of bracelet/strap removal tools and the one I use most often is the Bergeon 6111. The Bergeon gets the job done. Then why did it take me over an hour?

Single flange spring bars.

Take note, especially you watch companies out there: If the watch case does not have drilled through lugs, then use double flange spring bars...please!

It's also critical to remember not to remove a bracelet if you are angry, in a hurry, or in any state of mind other than that of pure, calm water. Remember, only after you clear your mind and body of all emotions are you in the right mental state to attempt such a procedure.

Finally, fer goodness sake, tape up those lugs! (Taping up the caseback couldn't hurt either.)

And just to let you know; I successfully removed the bracelet without damaging the watch. Whew.

This public service message brought to you by Hesalite.

No comments: